The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Cal OES have implemented Disaster Unemployment Assistance and Disaster Legal Services to support residents recovering from the wildfires in Calaveras and Lake Counties.
Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)
The Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) program provides financial assistance to individuals whose employment or self-employment has been lost or interrupted as a direct result of a major disaster and who are not eligible for regular unemployment insurance benefits.
DUA is generally available to any unemployed worker or self-employed individual who lived, worked, or was scheduled to work in the disaster area at the time of the disaster; and due to the disaster:
- No longer has a job or a place to work; or
- Cannot reach the place of work; or
- Cannot work due to damage to the place of work; or
- Cannot work because of an injury caused by the disaster.
To file a claim, individuals who are unemployed as a direct result of the disaster visit edd.ca.gov or your local office for more information.
DUA applies to losses beginning the week of September 13, 2015. Deadline for filing claims is October 26, 2015.
Disaster Legal Services
Free legal assistance is available to disaster survivors through an agreement between FEMA and the Young Lawyers Division of the American Bar Association.
Disaster survivors facing legal issues who are unable to afford a lawyer may call 1-800-657-0479 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. For TTY: call 711.
Legal advice is limited to cases that will not produce a fee. Cases that may generate a fee are turned over to the local lawyer referral service. The assistance that participating lawyers provide typically includes:
- Assistance with insurance claims (life, medical, property, etc.)
- Advice on landlord/tenant problems
- Help with home repair contracts and contractors
- Advice on mortgage-foreclosure problems
- Assisting in consumer protection matters, remedies, and procedures
- Replacement of wills and other important legal documents destroyed in a major disaster.
Survivors can apply for FEMA assistance online at DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 800-621-3362; TTY 800-462-7585; 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.