Last Week to Register for Federal Assistance in Lake, Shasta Counties

Residents of Lake and Shasta counties who suffered damage or losses from the recent wildfires have one week left to register for disaster assistance with FEMA. The deadline is Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018.

A presidential disaster declaration made federal assistance available to eligible individuals and business owners in Lake and Shasta. Survivors who primarily reside in the designated county can apply online at or by phone at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay Service may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free numbers are open 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.

Applicants will be asked for the following information:
• Social Security number
• Address of the damaged primary residence
• Description of the damage
• Information about insurance coverage
• A current contact telephone number
• An address where they can receive mail
• Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds

Disaster assistance for homeowners and renters may include grants to help pay for:
• Rental assistance
• Essential home repairs
• Uninsured and underinsured personal property losses
• Other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance.

Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) are available for businesses of all sizes (including landlords), private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters. Disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries; however, an SBA applicant does not need to wait for insurance settlement.

FEMA grants do not have to be repaid. FEMA assistance is nontaxable and will not affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicaid or other federal benefits.

Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if a survivor has registered with another disaster-relief organization, such as the American Red Cross.

The SBA offers federal disaster loans for businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters. The SBA is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged property.

Survivors should register even if they have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but underinsured applicants may receive help after their claims have been settled.

When registering for assistance, individuals self-certify their citizenship status. A parent or guardian of a minor child who is a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or a qualified alien is able to apply for assistance on behalf of the child, as long as they live in the same household. The parent or legal guardian must register as a co-applicant.

FEMA, Cal OES and SBA have been providing essential emergency support to affected communities since the Emergency Declaration on July 28, 2018. For more information on California recovery, visit the disaster web page at, Twitter at, Cal OES and You can also apply for SBA disaster loans by visiting SBA’s disaster website at For more information call SBA at 800-6592955 or 800-877-8339 (TTY).

Bryan May

Bryan May is a Public Information Officer for the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services. Prior to joining Cal OES in 2017, Bryan spent 30 years as an Emmy award winning television anchor and reporter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: