Following a disaster, if your home or property has been damaged be aware of individuals that may be trying to take advantage of disaster victims in vulnerable positions. The California State License Board has tips on how to avoid these false claims for assistance and services following a traumatic event.
Before hiring a contractor, signing a contract for service or exchanges money:
- Don’t rush into repairs, no matter how badly they are needed.
- Get at least three bids.
- Don’t hire the first contractor who comes along.
- Be cautious of door-to-door offers of repair services and flyers or business cards that left at your property.
- Ask friends, family and associates for recommendations about contractors they have hired.
- Never pay in cash.
- Even for the smallest job, get proof that person is licensed for that kind of work.
- Get a written contract with itemized details of the work plan.